Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Creepy Crawlers Creep Me Out!

I've always been terrified of most insects and spiders (by most, I mean almost all, except maybe ladybugs and ants. I'm ok with those). Any time I see a critter with more than four legs my first instinct is to scream and run. I'm not really sure why I'm afraid of insects and spiders, but maybe it's their annoying buzzing sounds or that they seem to materialize out of thin air in the most unexpected places. Here I have compiled a list of the three critters that scare me most.

1. Spiders. I'm just sitting around and then I see a small, gray or black speck moving in front of me. I look over and there it is. A spider. Even though I'm terribly afraid of spiders, I would never kill one. If the spider looks small enough, I might try to pick it up and release it outside, although I usually just end up running away as quickly as I can. On the rare occasion that I am trying to get rid of a spider, while in panic mode I try to find the nearest large piece of paper or anything I can slip under the spider to get it out of the house (of course I do all of this while maintaining a distance of at least six feet from the spider). The real problem is when I am oblivious to my surroundings and a spider manages to crawl onto my foot or something...

2. Mosquitoes. They buzz obnoxiously and spread disease, they suck blood (ew!), and their bites are as annoying as they are. Mosquitoes are even worse than spiders. Sometimes I feel like going to India is a nightmare because of this fear, which brings me to an interesting observation. In my experience, I have noticed that mosquitoes seem to prefer to bite young people. When I was under twelve years old, I would get covered in red bumps every time we traveled to a mosquito-infested area while my parents would remain unbitten. When we went to India last year, however, I was not pestered by itchy bites, while my eleven-year-old brother got over thirty of them.

3. Cockroaches. Of all the creatures on my list, cockroaches are the most guilty of appearing unexpectedly. They're also much bigger than mosquitoes and spiders. Cockroaches dominate the floors of Kenney gym and Freer pool. Our swim team has occasionally been rudely awakened by a cockroach sitting on the pool deck or the locker room floor before the start of morning practice.

13 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the most important things I've taken from bug bio: there is no reason to be afraid of bugs. Like you, I used to dislike many bugs but since bug bio I think I've gotten over the fear. Since we touch bugs extremely often it lets you fight your fear without you having to worry that the bug is going to do something (since it's dead). I've found out by experience that if you can touch something when its dead, you'll most likely be able to pick up the live thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o You are so much better than I am. If I even saw a spider, my instinct would be to put a large container over it until my dad got home and properly disposed of it outside. I wouldn't even have the guts to pick it up on a sheet of paper. Mosquitos are just plain old annoying. I think I freak out the worst when I feel something on me, look down to see a mosquito or a fly on me. I start shaking/spazzing out. While our fears may be similar, you deal with them a whole lot better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a permanent emergency neywork of paI have a collection of papr disposable coffee cups around the house, attached in a hinge of blue tape to a large sheet of card. There is another sheet of blue tape on the other side that can be fastened to seal the cup onto the plate. By completely opening up the cup, placing it rapidly over a spider, sliding the card under the cup, and fastening the card onto the cups opening, it becomes possible to carry a large spider outside with no threat of escape. It also helps to flip over the cup so that the opening lies upwards once the card had been completely attached.

      Delete
  3. There are four things that scare me about bugs. I don't like mosquitoes because they suck my blood and it bothers me how they stalk me. I also have a strong phobia of crane flies and harvestmen, because their long limp legs are creepy and vaguely threatening. Moreover, I don't like walking under spiderwebs for fear that I would get a surprise, landing on my face. I don't actually have a problem with spiders, but spiderwebs. I've had some bad experiences walking outside while looking down or to the side, and walking face first into big spiderwebs. When that happens, I find it very difficult to clean myself. Then there are days where spiders are ballooning everywhere, and the slightest breeze will blow many strands of silk into your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I feel you! Mosquitoes I'm less afraid of then irritated by, but cockroaches and (large) spiders? Nope, nope, nope! I have always wanted to take bug bio, but it's seeming a bit unlikely at this point! But who knows? Perhaps taking that class will help me get over my fear of bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really had a huge problem with spiders or cockroaches, but even after bug bio, I still dislike mosquitoes slightly. Bug bio was definitely good for me, since I appreciate bugs more and am less afraid of/disgusted by them -- they are important , after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica, I loved this post:) Only what about butterflies? They don't creep you out, do they? I guess my personal strongest of insects is the mosquitoes, or, I guess it's not exactly even a fear, just the worrying realization that you'll get bitten soon. I hate that feeling, even if I don't get bitten a lot. And I don't like touching spiders, although I'm okay with them. I usually put a clear cup over the spider and slide a piece of paper underneath so I can carry it outside and dump it out.
    You should totally read Maia's post about the spider if you haven't yet, you'll probably like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with butterflies :) I really enjoyed Maia's post.

      Delete
  7. To be honest I have more of a problem with little bugs like fruit flies or ants, than I do with spiders and bigger bugs. Maybe that's just because fruit flies and ants are the most common kitchen invader in my house, and I cannot handle bugs in the kitchen. Bugs are totally cool when they're outside- I actually think ants are pretty adorable- but when they start crawling all over the kitchen counter the spray bottle comes out and there's no saving them. Also in middle school there was one XC practice where there were little gnat-things flying everywhere, so that by the end of practice my shirt was covered in little bugs and they had flown in my eyes and nose and it was terrible and I was crying, so I kind of hate little flying bugs now. But if they're outside and they leave me alone, then I couldn't care less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never realized you had quite this much fear of insects, though it seems like you do truly detest them. So I am not sure if I've told you my funny swimming/cockroach story, but here it is. During morning practice once, some guy left his shirt on the ground at centennial pool, then after practice when he put it on a cockroach fell out, and he started flipping out, and that is why I never leave my clothes or bags on centennial pools deck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica this is 100% me! But it isn't the big bugs that freak me out (like cockroaches) but the itty bitty spiders that I can't stand. For some reason I don't mind Mosquitos, but that's probably because they don't usually bite me. I know logically I shouldn't be scared of them, but it's good to know someone else shares my fears!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beetles are terrible things too. And bees. I know I should like them because they're good for the environment and all but the prospect of getting stung is pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you on the cockroaches. I hate those thaings. Thank goodness I have never had one crawl onto me

    ReplyDelete