I don't exactly know the first time I did origami; it was probably sometime in kindergarten. I'm not even sure what the first model I folded is, although I'm guessing it is some kind of animal. However, I remember that the thing I most enjoyed (and still enjoy now) about origami is that you can turn a piece (or sometimes many pieces) of paper into almost any recognizable object you want just by making some folds. Even though I have always enjoyed folding origami, I never seriously started thinking of it as a hobby until subbie year.
When I was in seventh grade, my younger brother, Akash, became obsessed with origami. He had found a book of origami birds and, being a naive eight-year-old, the first bird he tried to fold was the most difficult, good-looking bird in the book, namely, the hummingbird. He often struggled to understand the complex diagrams full of creases, dashed lines, and arrows galore jumping around a square. When one of the steps befuddled him, Akash would ask me for help. I was no expert at origami, and I would often also have a hard time trying to understand how to get from one step to the next. After grappling with many diagrams, I slowly began to understand how to do the different folds.
Working by himself and occasionally asking me for help, Akash folded one avian species after the next and quickly became bored with single sheet origami. But then he found another book, called "Modular Origami Boxes." This was my first experience with modular origami. As usual, my brother would ask me for help when he got stuck, but this time, I was particularly interested in helping him. To fold a modular box, you must fold a certain number of units and then join them together. The completed units looked very strange to me at first. It was hard to believe that they could be smoothly connected into such beautiful patterns that looked like just one piece. This mysterious new art form seized my attention.
 |
| One unit, or module, for the lid of a hexagonal box. |
During summer, I pored over the book and folded all the boxes at least once. It wasn't easy. My first box looked like a smushed pancake. Folding the units was alright, but joining them was a pain, especially if the units were not exactly identical or there were slight folding inaccuracies. Making origami boxes has really taught me the importance of precision.
 |
An octagonal box
|
After boxes, I moved on to folding various three-dimensional shapes. I enjoyed making these as well, but they required many sheets of paper, lots of time, and an enormous amount of patience. I wished I had four hands while joining them, so I mainly just stick to folding boxes now.
 |
| A dodecahedron |
This summer, in search of something new to fold, I added another branch to my origami ventures: kusudamas. The word literally means "medicine ball" in Japanese, but it's basically a ball made of several identical shapes glued together. "But using glue is cheating!" Yes, I know. There is a way to make a kusudama without using glue, but that is very complicated and involves using pins to hold the pieces together while joining. Anyway, I chose to make a flower ball because it seemed relatively simple and doable for beginners. My kusudama is made of twelve, five-petalled flowers and requires sixty sheets of paper to construct. I'm not sure how I managed to fold the same pattern sixty times without losing my mind, but the finished product was a nice room decoration, so it was worth it.
 |
| Flower kusudama |
Last year, I expiremented again and taught a modular origami boxes class for Agora days. I plan to teach the class again this year, but was wondering what people would actually like to learn. I helped people make boxes because they don't require much time compared to other models, are relatively simple to join, and use only a few sheets of paper. Hopefully the class will be enjoyable!
I think I've said this before, and I'll say it again. TEACH ME! I enjoy origami and what you make looks so cool and advanced! I'd love to be able to make something half as good as what you've shown!
ReplyDeleteThese are so cool, Monica! I have done a tiny bit of origami and can make a box really similar to your octagonal box- at least I could a few years ago! My favorite part was always picking out different colored paper. I really like your flower kusudama, it looks pretty complicated, but it's awesome, I'd love to (attempt) to learn it sometime.
ReplyDeleteBerit's boxes were the first thing I saw of when I saw the octagonal box (I have two at this point to store knick knacks and treasures). These are really pretty Monica and I'm so glad you shared them with us (and if you'd like to make me one I will officially have a collection! )
DeleteLovely illustrations! Thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteMonica, these are absolutely beautiful! I've always wanted to learn how to make origami. Little brothers, although occasionally annoying, are sometimes good for discovering new hobbies. I know that my little brother got me back into drawing after he asked me to teach him how to draw. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creations with us :)
ReplyDeleteOrigami is one of the coolest art forms around. My problem was always the paper. Origami paper is surprisingly expensive compared to regular paper, which I used as a substitute. It kind of works but nothing beats the texture and folding capabilities of origami paper.
ReplyDeleteThose Origami pieces were incredible! I don't think I would ever have the patience to make one of these by myself. I can make a fortune teller.... that's the extent of my abilities. I would love to take your Agora class though! Nice post!
ReplyDeleteJust teach me how to do the flower kusudama and I can graduate from Uni High with no regrets. My hands aren't exactly the delicate-est, but I'll leave the future of my career in origami in your capable hands!
ReplyDeleteYou are so freaking good at origami!! I can't believe that you got so good and you're self-taught. It's super impressive. I forgot how to make a paper hat the other day, so... You should teach me how to make the kusudama because it's gorgeous! I would love to take an origami Agora Days class :)
ReplyDelete