Sunday, October 5, 2014

Photography

The first thing you probably noticed is that I changed my background. It's a photo I took of the ceiling in part of the Bellagio (don't worry, I promise we didn't let go of a single penny in there).

Anyway, I love taking photos. There's just something really satisfying about capturing that perfect sunset or pretty flower with just the touch of a button. Since no one in my family likes to smile for me, I usually end up taking shots of nature, buildings, plants, or sculptures. Recently, we've been visiting a lot of gardens and sculpture parks, so my phone is currently full of verdure and brightly colored, interesting shapes. I have grown to appreciate the beauty of plants and sculptures by photographing them. They don't seem like lame pieces of metal or random plants anymore (not that they did before), but shooting them has allowed me to view them through a different lens and enjoy them more.

Cactus Garden

My travels have taken me to some pretty exciting new places (by my travels, I mean my brother's ping pong tournaments, which are the reasons for most of our trips). This summer, we visited the southwest and journeyed through Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Death Valley. That part of the country is the complete opposite of Illinois in terms of geography, so I got some interesting photos. We also visited Red Rock Canyon, a short drive away from Las Vegas. This national park was great for taking photos because the rock formations were a rainbow of colors and the colors looked amazing together.

Red Rock Canyon

Visiting Death Valley in the summer was probably not the best idea. Temperatures ranged between 90 and 110 degrees during the day, but that didn't stop me from snapping away! After two miles of hiking through the desert, we finally arrived at Darwin Falls. Yeah, that's right, a waterfall in the desert. Attracted by my findings on Google images, I convinced my family to trek to the falls. We had come at the wrong time of year, so we only got to see a puny stream, but the refreshing scene provided a nice photo.

Darwin Falls

Through my amateur photography, I've figured out that whether a photo is captivating because of the colors or the subject, there are some things that just look good no matter what, like the picturesque Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon

5 comments:

  1. These are really nice pictures! I can understand the satisfaction of being able to capture a moment of time with a click of a button. If I actually had a good camera I would probably end up taking pictures of nature as well. I want to see more of the pictures you've taken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Monica. I love taking lots of photos because it something you can look back at after several years. These pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are some great photos! Like you, I didn't really appreciate photography until I took some pictures of my own on a backpacking trip in the Rockies. Being able to look back at those pictures always makes me happy and reminds me of the fun I had on the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica, these pictures are absolutely gorgeous! You have a real talent here Hope we see some more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like everyone else, I like photos too (as long as I'm not in them =) ). I think photos are one of the best, if not the best, way of capturing a moment for one to treasure for years to come. I sort of regret not taking more pictures on trips that I've been on in the past considering I don't remember some of those trips anymore.

    Nice pictures also by the way =)

    ReplyDelete