The air is crisp and fresh. Colorful leaves coat the ground with a crunchy blanket. It's getting chilly outside, but fall temperatures provide some relief from the scorching heat of summer and a nice transition into the cold of winter. 'Tis the season for delicious foods like hot chocolate, peach pie, caramel apples, pumpkin bread, and apple cider. This might sound a little weird, but I think fall smells good. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I associate fall with the smell of cinnamon, apples, pumpkins, and candles. These are just some of the reasons why fall is my favorite season.
Daylight savings is another one of my favorite things about fall. Although it becomes dark annoyingly early in winter, I'm always ready for an extra hour of sleep. Especially a few days after the clocks move back, I am finally be able to wake up early without feeling extra tired (of course, this only lasts for a little while). Getting an early start to my day makes me feel productive.
Fall also has some pretty awesome holidays, like Thanksgiving and Halloween. Thanksgiving break means five days of eating, sleeping, and free time. Five days may not seem like very long, but it's the first break of the year and I really appreciate the chance to catch up on some much-needed rest.
Halloween is another great fall holiday (sorry, but Columbus Day just doesn't cut it for me even though it gives us a day off). Every year I see some crazy costumes, elaborate decorations, and glowing jack-o'-lanterns in my neighborhood, but my favorite part of Halloween is definitely the chocolate. I've always preferred chocolate over candy, and my favorite kind of chocolate is either milk or dark. I don't really like white chocolate, though; I find it too sweet.
Fall has recently become my favorite too. There's just this awesome feeling about it. And once again, I must thank you for reminding me about daylight savings. If I hadn't read your post, I would have totally forgotten it [I think I still might forget again before Sunday]. Also yesssss, to the food.
ReplyDeleteAllow me to tell a short (and fairly recent) story about the smell of fall. I always associated fall with the smell of leaves. When I was a kid, I always raked up a huge leaf pile to play in. Consequently, I had a very good sense of what leaves smell like. Recently, we did an experiment in chem, where we had to extract the dye from leaves to practice chromatography. To do this, my lab partner and I ground up the leaves and mixed them with Isopropyl Alcohol. I made the mistake of smelling the mixture, and I am very sad to say that the beautiful smell of fall has now been replaced with the horrific smell of rotting leaves soaked in alcohol. Also, Thanksgiving is a great holiday. I always find that it comes at a very great time; a time when I always feel like I need a break, and consequently, it is one of my favorite holidays.
ReplyDeleteI love how we usually always have a positive outlook on fall, even though it is the season where many things die, most notably the plants and the flowers. It is a gloomy season yet we still love it. I think that some of the things you point out helps camouflage everything dying especially the holidays: Halloween, the holiday where we binge eat candy, and Thanksgiving, the holiday where we binge eat food.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the people-that-don't-like-white-chocolate squad finally has another member! I think it's okay, but I also find it a little bit to sweet for my palette. In regards to the rest of your post, I totally agree about the "smell of fall" being amazing. However, I would be very, very cautious when walking near Bath&Bodyworks during this time. If any one place can smell too much like autumn, that's it!
ReplyDeleteI also love fall, and your observation about the way autumn smells is spot on. Also, about daylight savings: I'm thinking about doing the "set your clock forward 10 minutes each night so you can sleep an extra hour at the end of the week" thing that Mr. Russell talked about. It would subdue the magic of daylight savings, but I could use an extra hour of sleep each week.
ReplyDeleteI think autumn is such a happy time, I think because everything seems so cozy. It's cold, but not too chilly just yet, you can break out all your sweaters and boots, and everything seems to be pumpkin flavored. I always get excited when I see that restaurants are breaking out their pumpkin muffins or pumpkin spice lattes because that means fall is just around the corner! I do agree about white chocolate, though - it tastes so much sweeter than the other two that it doesn't seem like chocolate at all.
ReplyDelete